Friday, July 20, 2012

A ribbon! For me?!

I was just notified that I received my first ever blog award! I am flattered and honored =) Monick over at her blog, Life Alchemy School, came across my blog during the Ultimate Blog Challenge this month, liked what she read, and chose me, and 4 other blogs, to receive this cute little blog ribbon:
In order to accept this fabulous award there are a few catches, of course ;-) But I can't say that I mind because I am so excited about it!

Here are the few rules to make this award official:
Thank the blogger who gave it to you and share the link back to the awarding blog.
Name 5 fabulous moments in your life.
Name 5 things that you love.
Name 5 things you hate.
Pass the award to 5 deserving bloggers.


So here we go! You get to learn a little bit about yours truly!

Thank the blogger who gave it to you and share the link back to the awarding blog.
Monick, thank you so much for presenting me with this award! I am really flattered that you enjoyed my blog enough to consider me for the 5 blogs =) After I was notified of this award I hopped on over to your blog and read several posts. I'm sad to say that I haven't ran across it until now! If you get a chance go on over to Life Alchemy blog, read a little about Monick, and read through her posts. Her topics really drew me in! She has a fantastic view on life and gives very inspiring messages. 

Name 5 fabulous moments in your life.
1) Speaking at the Starlight Children's Foundation annual gala in Los Angeles... twice. The first time with Spencer, and my best friend, Emily.. and the second I was solo but was SO glad to have Emily in the crowd! It was SUCH an honor to be asked to share my message with hundreds of celebrities and to help a Foundation that I am very thankful to have had in my life when I was sick earn much some needed money. Add in that the very first time we were at the gala Spencer proposed to me!

2) When I graduated high school. This was such a special time in my life because of my illness, Crohn's disease. It was a huge struggle getting through all my classes with passing grades because I was sick so often. I had fabulous teachers who worked very hard with me to keep me caught up and understanding each and every subject. Huge milestone for me!

3) The moment that I saw Spencer for the very first time on our wedding day. We did the first look before the ceremony and it was so special and intimate; it was like the entire world stopped spinning for that moment. The look on his face and the love that was radiating from his eyes and smile was something that I will remember for the rest of my life. Certainly a fabulous moment. 

4) The day that Spencer took me to get my kitty, Chloe, from the Humane Society in Utah! We were coming back from classes at SLCC. Spencer begged me to stop by the Humane Society "just to look" at the animals. I was pretty hesitant, but in the end obliged, because I mean really.. who can't resist looking at cute animals! Little did I know that stinker wanted to take me there to find me a kitten. I had been talking for a few weeks how I would love to have an animal of my own and a cat would be perfect for me. He knew that I was taking on SO much with going to school, work, and taking care of him. He was so sweet, and sneaky, about the whole thing! I was so happy that we were going home with a kitten! I'm just so, so sad that she ran away one night. Poor, poor Chloe. 

5) When Spencer and I finally moved into our first real place in March 2011. We had our own space, own rules, own decorations. It was really a beautiful place to live! It was a basement apartment, but it had so much light coming in and so many windows! It was in the foothills of the mountains. Not our ideal city to live in because it was about 45 minutes away from his doctors and the hospital (which he visited very frequently). But it was perfect in every way because it was OURS. <3 

Name 5 things that you love.
1) Food and cooking. Who doesn't love food and funny that this is the very first thing that came to my mind! haha. I especially like italian foods and any kind of sweet, baked goods. MmmmMmmm. I am starting to get back into enjoying cooking more and more. I used to do a ton of it when Spencer was around. It was always my goal to fatten his skinny body up! I like experimenting with different recipes, tweaking them to just the way I like it, and having it turn out perfectly! 

2) I love my family. Of course family is not a "thing", but my family is so, so very special to me and I love them with all of my heart. I would do anything for a family member. 

3) The mountains. The very first trip I made to Utah I was instantly in love with the mountains, or as Spencer always used to say "Nikki's/my/your Mountains" =) They are just so beautiful and being in them is incredibly peaceful. I couldn't think of anywhere else I would want to live right now!!

4) Children. I have a true passion for working with kids. I have had nanny and babysitting jobs for as long as I can remember and I have loved every single one with them. Kids are just so innocent (mostly ;-) and I feel that every child I cross paths with is so special and has such a huge potential in this world. It is always my goal to bring out that potential and help every kid that I work with shine and feel loved.

5) I love photography and crafty things. I may not have a lot of patience for crafting, but I love it none-the-less. I love making something out of nothing and I feel so accomplished when I sit down and actually finish something I've been working so hard on.... especially if it turns out the way that I intended. I don't take too many pictures, but when I have a good camera in my hands I just can't put it down. I enjoy editing photos even more!

Name 5 things you hate.
1) I hate that my family and I have to live so far apart. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on what way you want to look at it) whatever career path I choose to follow, my only opportunity for a job is in the city at a big hospital, most likely a children's hospital. As I mentioned, I very much love my family and they mean the world to me -- it's so hard being 12 hours away from home! On the bright side? I love the city and there's no where else I'd rather be!

2) I hate that I am such, SUCH a planner. Granted yes, It's good for a lot of things, but I tend to WAY over think everything and I worry about every little detail. Especially with this moving business. I am so worried that something isn't going to go according to plan. I run over my 'plans' over, over and over again in my mind and it really keeps me up at night (until 3:30 AM to be exact!!). I wish that I could do more things spontaneously and just relax about it instead of worrying all of the time!

3) Negative attitudes. Yes, I know that everyone has them -- INCLUDING me. But I find that when someone has a foul, negative attitude about just about everything, I really latch on to that attitude and I find myself getting negative, pessimistic, and grumpy about everything. I'm not myself and I dont' have the bubbly personality that everyone tends to enjoy. I understand if there is a reason for the attitude, but when the person can't quite look past it and look at the bright side of things, it really gets me down!

4) I hate that so many of my friends have to suffer. I am so tight knit with a lot of people in the cystic fibrosis community, crohn's community, and with people who have chronic illnesses in general. I think out of all of them, though, cystic fibrosis has been the toughest. I have seen the good, bad, and absolutely ugly that comes along with this disease, with Spencer. It hurts me so much to know that my friends are going through the same thing that my husband went through and that they all have the potential fate that he had. I am a very hands on person and I want to help everyone. I hate the feeling of being helpless because of this monster of a disease! 

5) My procrastination. I have tried time and time again to be on top of everything, but in the end I am just the worlds best procrastinator. I seriously wait until the last moment to get ANYTHING done. I think that I work best under pressure, because that's when I can produce my best work... but man, it's so stressful! I think I might die from a heart attack because of the situations I get myself into because I procrastinate so much. I've tried writing those papers weeks in advance, but it always comes down to the last day, or night, or few hours before it's due... Somehow they always end up turing out just fine, though! 

Pass the award to 5 deserving bloggers.
Oh boy -- this is truly the hard part because I know SOO many deserving bloggers! I've read a lot of great blogs in the Ultimate Blog Challenge that I am a part of this month, and I also know so many wonderful blogs that I have been following for a very long time... So here are my list of 5 deserving blogs:
  • Brian's Phirst Blog -- I came across Brian's blog during the UBC and it really touched me. Brian shares the journey of his son who is battling cancer. He writes with a lot of heart and hope.
  • I Have CF. So What?! -- I've been following Lauren's blog for quite awhile now. I am always so inspired by the way that she lives her life. She has cystic fibrosis and is also battling what is known to be a very nasty bug that infects CF patients called Burkholdera Cepacia. In her own words her blog is, "about staying positive, defining yourself, and remaining strong..."
  • Jenni's Guts -- I discovered Jenni's blog through the Chronicles of Crohnies page on facebook. I find myself completely drawn to her blog time after time! Her blog is about taking a humorous spin on her life with Crohn's disease. Those of us living with the disease know how crappy (pun completely intended ;-), and embarrassing it can be. So nice to read about someone who takes charge of her life and turns everything into humor! 
  • New Nostalgia -- I was JUST recommended this blog 2 days ago, and the moment I clicked on her posts I was hooked! "Here you'll find my quest to be present in each moment, learning from yesterday, and simply living each moment in the NEW" She has a variety of different things that she writes about, but what naturally drew me in was the way that she shares her journey with cancer. She writes with a lot of candor that takes a lot of vulnerability to do. 
  • Widow's Voice -- This blog has been so helpful to me on my journey of being a widow. "Seven widowed people; seven days of the week; seven unique perspectives; one goal... to tell other widowed people that they are not alone." The emotions that are expressed by each and every one of these writers is so raw and I tend to connect with each of them on a deep level. 
I hope that you all check out these blogs! Definitely worth a read! =) And again -- THANK YOU Monick for the award!

No comments:

Post a Comment