Monday, January 16, 2012

Shepherd's Pie - Dinner

Tonight I cooked Shepherd's Pie - and man it was good, and fairly healthy compared to what we usually eat around here! Just took a recipe online and adapted it a little bit!
I just wanted to share and to record it so that I can go back to this recipe. My dad even commented on how he liked it - so you know it's a go-to meal!

Shepherd's Pie - Nikki's Way

Ingredients:
1-1.5 lbs ground beef
1/2 small onion
1 C. corn
1 C. peas
1/2 cup diced carrots
3 large potatoes (to make it quicker, use instant potatoes - I did!)
8 Tbls butter (1 stick) ((I only used about 5-6.. I don't think 8 is needed)
1/2 C. beef broth (I made my own by using a beef bullion cube and water)
Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Basil, Garlic Powder - All to desired taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 400 Degrees. Cook for 20-30 minutes (mine only took 20).

Directions:
1) If using real potatoes, peel and quarter potatoes and boil in salted water until tender (~20 minutes)

2) In medium pan, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease. Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic powder and stir. Set aside.

3) Melt 4 Tbls butter in a separate large frying pan and add onions and carrots. Saute until tender (~10 minutes). Add corn and peas and cook additional 5 minutes, until tender. Add cooked ground beef to veggies.

4) Add 1/2 cup beef broth and cook, uncovered, on low heat 10 minutes. Add more broth as needed to keep moist.

5) Drain and mash potatoes. Add 3-4 Tbls butter. (if using instant potatoes, prepare now)

6) Put beef and veggies into a sprayed casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top. Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the cheese. Put into a 400 degree oven and cook for 20-30 minutes.

It serves about 5 maybe 6 people depending on the serving size. =) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Woot I am actually making a recipe book for me and Mac to experiment with. I shall try this!

    ReplyDelete