Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Determined

.... and determined I AM! I have been wanting to get fit, be healthy, and lose this accumulated weight for a long time now. I never really had the motivation before to put everything together to make this work. And to be honest with you - I still don't know if I have enough motivation to keep this going.... but so far I'm doing well. I just want to share my experience so far =)

On the 18th of this month I decided change really needed to happen. I decided to start eating healthier meaning more fruits and veggies, correct portion sizes, eating breakfast, not eating too late, and having 2 healthy snacks a day so that I don't get overly hungry. I wasn't completely sure how to start, but I was in Wal*Mart and was going to get special K cereal (I really like it!) and noticed the special K challenge and also a coupon for a free protein product.... Sooo with that I decided that maybe a good way to start with the eating part of things was to do this challenge. I got a couple boxes of cereal, a free 6 pack of protein shakes, and a box of protein bars.
When I got home I looked up the challenge and thought it was pretty do-able.. I really needed to train my body that food in moderation is GOOD and that fruits and veggies are great snacks and WILL fill me up. I usually only eat a granola bar for breakfast anyway and I love cereal, so should be easy right? Well.... kind of. I wasn't very good with having the snacks between breakfast and lunch and then lunch and dinner and so I noticed myself getting pretty hungry and just miserable. Not a lot of energy. I am getting better at eating healthy snacks in between and if I feel a craving for something, eating fruit instead and I'm getting so much better with it! I don't feel near as hungry and food isn't constantly on my mind like before.
Dinner was the hardest to follow because my family... well they don't eat the healithiest for dinner ;-) So it was always tempting to eat the good, fattening foods and big portions - but I was able to restrain! YAY!
I'm not really following the Special K challenge anymore. I think it was a great way to start though because it made me aware of proper portion sizes, healthy snacks, knowing when is ok to eat, and it helped my body kind of cleanse its self. At first I always felt hungry despite eating all sorts of fruits and veggies - but now they seem to fill me up. Great thing! Dessert is what's getting me now. Still gotta work on that one!!

Another thing I'm trying to get better at is exercising. So far I have taken a 20-30 minute walk every day. Sometimes I will get a 15 min walk in and then a longer walk in later. I've done this every day except for one. Now that it's nicer outside I find myself wanting to enjoy a nice long walk so it's not a challenge to get out and do so. I tried the running thing but it's honestly NOT for me. I roll my ankles too frequently and I feel uneasy. It's hard on my joints and I just HATE it. I realized that walking is just fine and I am doing a 20-30 minute at-home workout every other day. Exercising hasn't been that hard - and for that I am thankful!!!! I'm also getting more active during the day in general. A and I (little girl I sit for) are able to go outside in the morning and take a short walk and I try to turn it into a learning game for her so she doesn't get bored (talking about animals, finding certain objects) and she enjoys it. Then in the afternoon we walk to the library, ride her bike, play at the park, play a heck of a lot of tag - she keeps me moving and even though I don't like it, I know it's good for me! =)

I've been trying to change my sleeping habits as well. I am trying to shut down at about 9:30 so I can be asleep by about 10 or 10:30. (doesn't always happen though!) I notice that if I get any less than about 8 to 8.5 hours of sleep I'm just a zombie the whole day. I feel my best when I get about 9 hours of sleep, but I'm still working up to that! heh.

I'm not doing this to impress anyone or to show off - I just want to be healthy, desperately. I want to be confident. I want to look decent in a bathing suit this summer and in a dress at the Gala in May.

I haven't stepped on a scale yet. But I'm planning to soon. Record what I have and hopefully drop 1-2 pounds a week and gain some muscle mass. I'm horribly weak =( I would like to be around 125. I have a goal in mind to be at by the Gala in May and then a Goal to reach by June =) I think I can do it... I hope I can do it. Oh boy! Never easy - but they say afte 21 days of doing something it becomes a habit - maybe this will be the case? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment