Blog 4 -- List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could
1. Pay more attention to your little sister. One day she is going to become your best friend and the one person you spend most of your time with. You love her, even though you don't want to admit it.
2. Spend as much time as you can with the ones you love, even if it's just a phone call. Take the extra time to visit them, write to them, and call them. They don't stay young forever and later, as you spend time with them while their memory is failing, you will wish you would have taken an extra hour on your weekends while they were more youthful.
3. Those 'friends' you spent hours crying over because you weren't invited to hang out on the weekends? Don't waste your time. After you graduate you will rarely hear from them. Spend your time with the most unlikely people, for with them you will find the strongest friendships.
4. Don't even bother with sports. If it doesn't make you the most popular girl, so be it. It doesn't make you happy. The tears and disappointments you face because you never got a chance aren't even worth it. You're better than that and you have other talents -- music and writing, dig deep and express them.
5. Embrace your hometown, small town, country life more . There will be a day when you'll choose to come back and live. After being away for 4 years you'll come to appreciate it and respect it. It is engraved in your roots and even if you don't believe it, you'll always be a country girl at heart.
6. Don't stop writing in your journal your senior year of high school!!! When you're 22 you will look back and really wished you could remember your senior year! ;-)
7. Don't be so concerned about what others think of you. Live your life the way YOU want. Do the things that YOU want. And don't be afraid to express your opinion.
8. Be a teenager. Rebel a little bit. Don't be so scared of getting into trouble. Live in the moment and enjoy your life now. Things will get A LOT more complicated down the road -- more than you could ever imagine. Enjoy it while you can!
9. Take. Your. Medications. When you're 22 and facing surgery, you really wish you would have!!
10. You've done a great job with your life so far. You should be proud of the mature way that you handle everything. Good work 16 year-old self, good work.