Monday, October 2, 2017

Monday Sorrow

Impromptu blog post in response to the tragedy unfolding in Las Vegas. As usual, I was typing up a facebook status, but it turned into something more than "just" a status.

My husband woke me up this morning and embraced me with a hug telling me there was a mass shooting in Las Vegas last night. I read a few headlines online and left it at that. I avoided turning on the news until about half an hour ago. It leaves me not only heartbroken but truly sick.

My heart goes out to everyone... those directly affected, families, first responders, nurses, doctors, blood bankers, techs, etc. I can't imagine the chaos that has ensued. I'm sure most are on autopilot, unable to sleep or relax thinking about all the trauma they just witnessed. Thinking about the people they just saved, those who are fighting for their lives, and some that they worked tirelessly to save but just couldn't hold on.

I can't help but think about those in my own profession, laboratory technologists, technicians, and phlebotomists who are racing to get the blood that they need, get it tested STAT and turn results around as quickly as possible so that the providers are able to provide the care that they need. And all those blood bankers activating mass transfusion protocols to transfuse more units than a body can hold.

It's so incredibly sad some people have the ammunition like this to cause such sorrow. What can be SO terrible that you need to take innocent lives of others to justify your own feelings? I will never understand it. And unfortunately we never get the answers or closure that families and friends so desperately need because the one who causes so much violence ends up taking his/her own life or the only way to get them to stop is to take their life. It's sad this has to be the outcome.

Our world is so volatile right now and everything is so uncertain. As my husband and I think of starting a family, a small voice in the back of my head makes me question if I want to bring a child into such an unstable world. I hate that I even have to think about that. But there is so much fear that surrounds our everyday life. Fear of unobtainable health insurance, potential war, riots. Fear of traveling and exploring this world, of enjoying entertainment outside your own front door.

Most of us don't let that fear paralyze us and prevent us from living our lives. And we shouldn't... but in a time where we have to add things like regular "active shooter drills" into our schools and work places, it's hard to not be worried about our future children's futures. I wonder what they will end up knowing? A world of violence and hate or one of compassion and love? I can only hope that we can raise them with the later instilled within them deep down to their very core, but our society far too often demonstrates the complete opposite.

I hope that they are able to grow up and follow their dreams. To live their lives without fear of social conformity and ideals. I hope they are able to express themselves, stand up for themselves, and be exactly who they are meant to be with acceptance and support from everyone around them. And I pray with everything I have that Josh and I are able to raise them with love in their hearts in a world surrounded with hate.

These are just some of my thoughts in a nutshell on this gloomy and terribly sad Monday. Please join me in not only thinking about and praying for everyone involved with the horrible events but also for our country and its leaders.


No comments:

Post a Comment